Well, weeks of preparation and anticipation was all over in a whirlwind of raw vegetable grating, blending, mountains of compost, many many forgotten cups of pukka teas and 19 beautiful women, who came with open hearts and minds and left as friends.
I feel so grateful that for my first retreat we had such a special group who all so enthusiastically embraced a whole weekend of raw food, yoga and meditation at the New Moon Yoga Retreat.
I have come away feeling elated at how much I have learned, and so excited for where I might go next on this clean food and health adventure!
This is the Strawberry Cheesecake which we said good bye with on Sunday. I made 2 of them, on reflection I think I could have made 3.
1 1/2 cups almonds
1 cup Majool dates
2 Tbsp Cacao nibs
1 + 3/4 cups cashews soaked for 8 hours
Cream from 1 can coconut cream (1/2 – 1 cup full)
(put can in fridge overnight so that the cream hardens and separates from the water, use cream only)
1/2 vanilla pod or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown rice syrup
Juice of 1 lemon plus rind of half
2 cups fresh strawberries plus more for decorating
- Process the nuts, dates and cacao nibs until crumbly and sticky, squeezed between thumb and finger it should form a disk.
- Empty into a 8 inch spring bottom cake tin and press firmly into the bottom. It should feel as thoug it would hold its shape when removed from the tin.
- Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and add to a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the strawberries, unless you want the whole thing to be pink – I like to do a while layer and a pink layer.
- Blend until completely smooth and then spread half the mixture over the base and return to the freezer.
- Blend the strawberries into to the rest of the mixture and spread over the while layer when its firm enough to do so.
- Return to the freezer until set. I like to keep these cakes stored in the freezer and take out half an hour or so before serving to soften.
Enjoy beautiful people!