Let me tell you how this blueberry gooseberry grain free galette recipe came to be.
As many of you know I am exceptionally proud of my very humble little veg patch, a few berries as some kale literally has me beaming from ear to ear!!! I just find it so exciting and deeply satisfying to watch tiny seeds grow into beautiful nutritious food that tastes amazing and nourishes our bodies with no air miles, no chemicals, no packaging, all from a tiny seed and a little patch of earth. What a miracle mother earth is.
It took me a long time to get round to picking all of my 11 gooseberries (an increase on last year!) because under my little gooseberry bush is my cats favourite place to seek a shady warm patch of earth so all its berries were covered in cat hair (yum! don’t worry I washed them thoroughly!!!) But I was determined to honour these lovely over ripe berries with something simple but equally as delicious. I love galettes because they are so pretty and you can see whats in inside!
I searched around for some gluten free galette pastry inspiration (not my strength) and found one from Against All Grain, I changed it a little because I prefer almonds to cashews and coconut oil to butter, but the original recipe looks spectacular (as do all of Danielles recipes!)
Blueberry Gooseberry Grain Free Galette
- 1 cup gooseberries halved
- 1 Tbs Maple syrup
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 2 cups almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbs coconut flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 heaped Tbs cold deoderised coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp good quality salt
1. In a food processor grind the almonds with the arrowroot powder, coconut flour and salt until you have a fine crumbly mixture.
2. Next add the maple syrup and process again to combine.
3. Add in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and process again, this should bring the mixture together into a dough, it should stick together when you press it, but still be a bit crumbly.
4. Form a ball with the dough and wrap tightly in plastic* and put it in the fridge for as long as you can bare to wait, Danielle says 4, she is probably right but I only left it for 1 hour because I was impatient and I needed to take photos before it got dark!
5. Once the pastry has chilled, preheat the oven to 180 and then roll it about 1/2 an inch thick between to pieces of parchment paper, bring in any straggly edges to make a rough circle. Remove the top layer of parchment.
6. Mix the blueberries in a bowl with the maple syrup and lemon juice. place these onto the pastry with the halved gooseberries on top, leaving about 2 inches around the edges to fold inwards.
7. This bit was a little tricky, maybe because I didn’t chill the pastry for long enough, my advice is use the parchment paper to help you fold up the edges, as in lift and fold the paper over rather than lifting the pastry itself because it’s very delicate. In Danielles recipe she does as egg wash, over the pastry at this point.
8. Now place the galette on the parchment paper onto a baking tray and bake at 180 for around 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe is best eaten straight away when the pastry is warm and crunchy, with ice cream or coyo yogurt! But it was still delicious for breakfast the next day.
* I really hate wrapping anything oily in plastic, actually I hate wrapping anything at all in plastic!!! If anyone has a better solution for pastry wrapping PLEEEASE tell me in the comments below. I refuse to buy cling film so I use a used but clean food bag, but I still hang my head in plastic shame.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, I really loved it and most importantly I feel I have done my little gooseberry bush proud, until next year!